Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

My First Experience at a Climbing Competition


Today


I belayed climbers for the USA Climbing, SCS (Sport Climbing Series) Competition at Aiguille Rock Climbing Center. It was a new experience for me, even though I’ve been climbing for 2 years.

I've never belayed at a competition before


Let alone even been to a competition. It was a whirlwind of an experience, to say the least. I was expecting to show up, catch people for 4 hours, and then leave. I was in for a huge shocker.


For some reason


I didn’t realize that it was a serious competition, until we had our belayer’s meeting. Going through all the rules that I had to enforce, while belaying. I’d have to say, it was a bit nerve-racking thinking about it, but I figured if all my friends that bouldered and almost never climbed on rope could do it, I could do it.

Once the director yelled "GO"


It was on like Donkey Kong. Kids running to get in line for their turn to try and red point the route. I was overwhelmed real quick with everyone swarming around, loud noises, and limited space to move, it was definitely overwhelming, but it all turned out ok.

By the end of the competition


I was having a great time watching kids show me up. I’m a strong 5.11 climber and am starting to project some 5.12’s; I’m 23 for the record. I was belaying kids that were climbing 5.11’s on the first try, they were maybe 12. I must say, it was a bit disheartening at first, but when I stopped being selfish and thinking about myself, I realized that most of these kids could go pro and potentially I had the chance today to help them do so, down the road.

P.S. I know I threw out some climbing terminology that might be confusing, but this website will help clarify everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment