Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Holiday Weekend We Couldn't Stick To A Plan

Our plans kept changing, but we kept rolling with the punches and still had a great 4th of July Holiday. Like I said in my post a couple weeks ago, our plans changed from climbing to going to the beach with a trip to Tampa. While we were in Tampa our plans changed again, but I'll get to that a little later.

First off, I'm sorry for this late post, but I was sick last week, yuck, and didn't feel like doing much. But without further ado, here's the update of mine and Alison's 4th of July Weekend adventures.
Bird poop sign at the Florida Aqarium

We started off by going to Aiguille to pull some plastic and do some yoga. Like I said in a previous post, this was going to be my first time doing yoga and honestly, I was nervous.

I had a fantastic first yoga class. I was expecting to have some incense burning, hear someone hit a gong every so often, say namaste at the wrong time, and eventually have the instructor get mad at me because of how bad I was. Taylor, the Wednesday night yoga instructor, was awesome. She kept it fun, and was focused on making sure the class as a whole was able to participate in everything and get the most out of it. Towards the end of class, I was able to lie flat in corpse pose and be completely still, for what seemed to be eternity, and meditate. That time of stillness in meditation was one of the most relaxing and peaceful moments I've ever experienced.

If you've never tried yoga, you need to at least consider trying it once.

From there we went over to my parents beach condo at New Smyrna Beach to wake up early on the 4th to get some sweet sunrise slackline pictures. My brother, Adam, and I were set and ready to get some shots at one location, but the sky wasn't quite how I wanted it (the spot's a secret, but I'll show you the pictures once everything works out in our favor). We decided to go to a beach ramp and were still able to get some pretty cool shots, at least I think so.
Justin Fricke, The Weekend Warrior, slacklining at dawn at the Beach Way beach ramp at New Smyrna Beach
Photo Credit: Adam Fricke
I was stoked to see that a fun little swell had rolled through and had gotten a little glassy over night. The current ripped pretty hard, but that didn't stop me from catching a little nose ride or two on my new 9'1" noserider that my buddy shaped for me.
Justin Fricke, The Weekend Warrior, noseriding on a 9'1" longboard at New Smyrna Beach
Later that night we grilled some burgers and hung out for a while. I know I said our plan was to lounge in our hammocks at the park where they had a firework display, but like the rest of the weekend, plans changed. Alison and I ended up walking across the street to the docks to watch the fireworks off in the distance. Once those were done, we went back to the condo and hung out on the balcony watching people shoot off fireworks from the beach.
Fireworks from the balcony of the Capri Building at Minorca in New Smyrna Beach
I surfed some more the next day took and then we took off for Tampa around 3:00 pm and were planning on staying at this hip little hostel after the Rays game. However, we decided to find other arrangements and you can read my thoughts on the place here.

That downer didn't slow us down, we had a blast at the Rays game. The weather was a little rainy, but Tropicana Field is completely covered, so we stayed dry. We got in line and went to the box office to get some nosebleed seats right behind home plate. We picked a good game because the Rays slaughtered the White Sox and we got to see back-to-back home runs in the 2nd inning.
Nose bleed seats behind home plate at the Rays game at Tropicana Field
Saturday was a new day and with that new day we went to see some fishies. We'd never been to the Florida Aquarium before, but had heard great things. I was thoroughly impressed with all the exhibits and the information. For someone expecting to see some saltwater tanks and look at some sharks, this was a shocker. They had saltwater and freshwater exhibits along with other species as well. They also had different sections showing how everything is vital to Florida's ecosystems. If you ever go, you have to spend some time just watching the river otters play.
Nemo and Dory swimming at the Florida Aquarium
We found Nemo and Dory!
When all was said and done, I think we ended up going with Plan D.

No comments:

Post a Comment