Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Flatland Training Part 3

Note from the writer: This is part 3 of a 5-part series about how to stay active in the outdoors through flatland training--essentially, training for the mountains without actually being in the mountains.

When you're in the mountains you're typically going to have something on your back. Wether it's a boulder pad, a pack full of gear, or your kid, something's going to be adding some weight to your back. So my third suggestion for flatland training would be to start training with some weight on your back.

You could buy a lead vest, but that disperses the weight evenly across your upper body. You won't get the full effect of having to stand upright while having something on your back. It's also a perfect time for you to get your pack on your back and get re-accustomed to what it feels like.
Columbia Enduro 65 backpack

I'd suggest training with the same backpack you'll be using when you're in the mountains. I'd also suggest walking with your pack on rather than running. When you walk, you'll be minimizing the impact on your joints which will help you prevent injuries down the road.

When I was younger and playing organized sports, my coaches always told me to "practice how you play." I think this holds true with this scenario as well because if you know what you're going to be carrying on your back, you''ll be accustomed to it before you get to the mountains and shouldn't have any preventable surprises. You can dial in your fit, pace, and just strap up and go when you get there.

So what should you put in your backpack while you're training? If you put rocks in there, you probably won't have to load up so many (depending on the sizes) and you can probably get outside faster. However, something that can make or break your adventure is how you load your pack. When you load rocks in your pack, they're going to sit at the bottom, which isn't where you want all your weight. You want the bulk of your weight at the center of your pack. When you use rock, you also don't get the practice in packing your pack either. I'd suggest using all your gear that you'll be bringing. This way you get to practice loading everything and you can experiment with placement.

If you're going to have a kid on your back, load em up in your child carrier and get them outside. If your kid's old enough to stand on their own, I've heard The Piggyback Back Rider is a fantastic option for carrying your kid on your back. I don't have kids, so I don't have one, nor have I been able to test it out, but like I said, I've read some good reviews and blogs about it.
The Piggyback Rider

Grab your pack (or your kid), get outside and start training for your adventure.



No comments:

Post a Comment